Thursday, September 2, 2010

Looks Like We Made It!

I’ve only been to Europe once in 2005, when I visited London and Amsterdam (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?) with one of my BFFs. The entire time we were traveling, our complete awe of being across the pond led us to continually sing the chorus of Barry Manilow’s “Looks Like We Made It” at the top of our lungs. It’s not something I can explain or comprehend, but we loved doing it. Maybe it’s because the song has a triumphant quality to it – like you’ve really accomplished something. All I know is, it’s been running through my head nonstop again for the past day or so.*

And after two uneventful flights (thank you, Ambien!) and the fastest customs line I have ever cleared (seriously, not one question asked!), I have now made it to my final destination – Helsinki, Finland. I’m still waiting for the part when this actually feels less like a dream, but right now it just seems like a press trip. Maybe on my first day of work the reality of it all will kick in.

And now, without further adieu, here is my home away from home for the next three months:

My street:

My building:


My apartment, view A:

My apartment view B: (Hey, I have the same coffee table! Oh, Ikea!)
That little thing that looks like a window is actually a loft space, with an extra bed for visitors :)


My view! Can't wait until the leaves change colors!!!


Does that say Van Halen?!?!?! Oh, no, it's just instructions in Finnish.

My cozy kitchen:


My view while cooking: <3

Careful your child doesn't pull the coffee maker on his head!

My bathroom. Note the shower is right next to the washing machine. This concerns me for electrical reasons but I guess it's okay? Also... it kind of smells sulphuric, so if I leave the door open, it stinks up the whole apartment. But otherwise, very efficient.


That's pretty much everything! I feel incredibly lucky and blessed to have this opportunity. And apparently I'm living in a very hip slash upscale part of town. (There are three record shops on the corner!!! THREE!!!).

Stay tuned for more Finnish adventures as I have them. :)

*Sidenote: Upon listening to the actual Barry Manilow song, it couldn't have less to do with how I feel right now, lol. Plus it's really, really bad. But the song will always remind me of that first European adventure, no matter how bad it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment