Monday, October 18, 2010

Finland Hearts Conan


I’ve recently discovered Finland’s love affair with one of my favorite Americans -- Conan O’Brien. Being the amazing late-night talk show God he is, he created a bit called “Conan O’Brien Hates My Homeland,” where he insulted every country in the world just to find out where his show was being aired. To his surprise, he got an overwhelming response when he insulted Finland; not surprisingly, and true to Finnish style, they mostly agreed with him! (My favorite response: “Conan, I hate my homeland too. Keep up the good work. Finland sucks.”)

I’m think I saw this on TV when it originally aired and found it amusing; seeing it in Finland and understanding the culture makes it a million times funnier.




In another video, he endorses Finland’s president, Tarja Halonen, during campaign time, because she looks like him! (OMG, she totally does!) Too funny.





I wonder how horrible Conan's Finnish-speaking skills are. I’ve noticed he mispronounces Tarja (we Americans have a hard time with the letter ‘J’ -- it's pronounced more like an English 'Y') so I can only imagine he must be butchering the language. I still think it’s awesome he did these commercials, though, and that he visited Finland to meet the president.

Good to see Suomi is on team Coco. To me, it proves what I already knew to be true: Finns are way smarter than Americans. Especially the Americans who seem to like Jay Leno’s bland, mediocre attempt at humor.

I wonder if they like Will Arnett.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a Canadian in Jyväskylä,Finland and was recently asked about Conan's affiliation with Finland.
    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete